It’s so easy in life for us to receive blessings, many of them almost uncounted, and have things happen in our lives

that can help change our lives, improve our lives, and bring the Spirit into our lives.

But we sometimes take them for granted.


How grateful we should be for all have been brought into our hearts and souls.


I would remind all of you that if we’re ever going to show gratitude properly to our Heavenly Father, we should do

it

with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength—because it was He who gave us life and breath"


David B. Haight


Saturday, April 17, 2010

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Heather Pryor

Clarence Middle School was sponsoring "Going Bald For Bucks", a cancer fundraiser for Roswell Park Cancer Research Center. Teachers and Students raise money to shave their heads and/or to donate 10 inches of hair to make wigs for kids. Two of Meghan's awesome friends, Riley (left) and Mallory (right) paid a tribute to Meghan during the auction. Meghan is so very lucky to have some of the most compassionate, kind, thoughtful and dedicated friends of anyone I know: A wonderful group of girls who bless her life.
I am beginning to recognize what is missing with Meghan's memory. The memory seems to be there but she can't retrieve memories within the first 48 hours. Once the memory shifts from short term to long term, she has full access to it again. (Not an official diagnosis, just an observation). On Tuesday night, someone left this critter on Meghan' pillow. She asked us "What shall I call him?". We suggested "Name him Bill Butler after your neurosurgeon, 'cos this little guy has a lot of scars too". She laughed and agreed. Within 10 minutes, she was asking again, "What shall we call him?" This went on for 2 days. On Friday morning, she woke up, saw this critter, and without cues, said, "Hi Bill Butler".
*
It is interesting that we are here: Spaulding Rehab specializes in Traumatic Brain Injury. It' s just still too soon to make any formulations about recovery, they assume that there is still inflammation in the brain, and might be for a while yet!

7 comments:

  1. Hi
    Helena I totally agree with you! By reading the comments from Meghans friends I have been brought to tears by the depth of their compasion. Meghan I am so thankful that you have these friends to make you laugh and be so sweet and understanding.
    With Love,
    Margi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for amazing friends!!!

    And yay that memories are there after 2 days... that seems like a really good sign to me!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. meghan,

    jaden has noticed you have quite a collection of stuff animals. she has some new animals too but unfortunitly for me they're real.(jk) she got 2 dwarf hamsters. they're actually cute. she can't wait for you to see them. We miss you.
    love,jaden and joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megal,
    haha that's the thing I was talkin bout when I said I yelled " Go Meghan!" hahaha :P can u savatage the Boston bruins for me... They beat the sabres yesterday and I'm sorta depressed. ..... Akward.......
    Everyone is stealing my quote thing!!!
    Ambres

    ps motto: Everything happens for a reason
    alot of people

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meghan I look HORRIBLE, Where did you get that picture?! Well I just arrived back from Philly and Gettysburg and our educational family field trip. I tossed a penny on Ben Franklin's grave for both of us and it landed heads up (that is supposed to give you 7 years of good luck), I figured we need all the luck we could get.
    Remember something for me...

    Things will always get worse before they get better.

    Your BFFEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAE,
    Mallory

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Meghan,
    Looks like you are keeping busy. I love the model of Bandit. I think he would too. Can you do one of Uncle Jeff? Not life size though, I already have one of those.

    Love you,
    Aunt Jo

    Love you too Helena.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What good friends you have! I would have paid serious money if they shaved their heads too! : )

    Isnt it amazing how the body and brain work?! I am glad she is able to retin some memory after a short period of time. Praying for you guys everyday! Always in our thoughts & prayers

    ReplyDelete