It’s so easy in life for us to receive blessings, many of them almost uncounted, and have things happen in our lives

that can help change our lives, improve our lives, and bring the Spirit into our lives.

But we sometimes take them for granted.


How grateful we should be for all have been brought into our hearts and souls.


I would remind all of you that if we’re ever going to show gratitude properly to our Heavenly Father, we should do

it

with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength—because it was He who gave us life and breath"


David B. Haight


Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Scare and a Treat

We had a bit of a scare today. My parents were flying in from London to stay with Cameron and Brianna, with a 6 hour layover in Boston. We were preparing to leave for the airport, so we went to the playroom to choose a DVD for Meghan but when we came back, after only 5 minutes, Meghan had gotten out of bed, pushed the IV pole and walked to the bathroom. The only problem was.....her gravity controlled drain, attached to the brain, was now dangerously misaligned and CSF fluid was quickly dripping from her head. If we had been gone for more than 5 minutes.......frightening................The problem is with her short term memory--she is not remembering the instruction "Don't move your head without a nurse present." Needless to say, we now know that one of us needs to be with her at all times!
So...the nurse put a sign above Meghan's bed to remind her to call before getting out of bed. Meghan kept telling us "it doesn't make any sense!" Now we begin to worry about her comprehension too, so we ask her to explain her reasoning. She says, "How can I call her before I wake up?" We had a good laugh at our over-reaction ...............so we learned not to create problems that weren't there!
It was a wonderful treat to see our Grandparents. Meghan has not seen them in 18 months, and is always asking them to visit. It was a bonus that they brought her "Flake"--her favorite British candy bar. It's just tough for them to see that she doesn't remember eating the Flake.
Three generations in one family. If only you could see the cheaters-Grandma and Meghan- each laughing and straining to stand taller than the other! Why bother, we are all short!
You know you've been in the hospital too long when you can talk your Dad into watching "New Moon." There's nothing wrong with her long term memory: She fills Dad in on all the specific details from the book!

5 comments:

  1. Magel,
    Team Jacob!!!! Are you on that team?? You better be!!! Hahaha!!! ( Taylor lautner is HOT!!) My dad won't watch twighlight with me..... Hahaha! BTW I commented first!!!
    Your btmffl
    ambres

    Ps motto: Ggggooooaaaaallllll!!!
    Rick genneratte ( go sabres )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan, I never knew how much you look like your Daddy!!!!!!!! Lucky Daddy and Meghan !!!I can really see it in this picture of the both of you !!KEEP SMILING :) :) :)
    Love
    Margi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg,
    Thats the way to do it. Meghan to remember Flakes just imagine the best chocolate in the world times 100! Crumbling into your mouth, melting... your making me hungry and jealous. Start making your brain work go over an instruction you just heard and try to remember it. Do it for me, Do it to beat that brain tumor.

    Your BFFEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAE,
    Mallory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Meg! New Moon... that must be sweet!! I am really glad your gradparents could come by. i hope you are feeling better!!
    ~emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. "One Year Older and Wiser too...Happy Birthday--to YOU!" as the children's primary song goes. Although, I would say you have gained more than a year's worth of wisdom just in the last couple months alone--ha! So,Meghan, I think your mother has enough wisdom for the moment, so you can be done with the tumor already!!! Helena, you are seriously making us look bad...leaving us in the dust...with all these learning and growing experiences. It's time to start sharing the weatl...umm, on second thought, it couldn't happen to a better person--how truly blessed you are to be learning, growing, and stretching your spiritual muscles so much (isn't that exactly how you feel?!! HA!). I challenge your spiritual muscles to Mindi's Idaho farm-girl biceps--we all know Mindi's tough, but I think you could take her! Although, I think I saw her practicing on Cameron and Fred the other night--they got a little out of hand at her house with her homemade breadsticks, so she just had to put them in their place (at least I'm assuming that's what happened when I saw breadsticks flying through the air in the backyard over the boys' heads with Mindi in hot pursuit, heading towards the pond. And I have to say, they were not a pretty sight coming out of Mindi's backyard pond once they felt it was safe to surface (Roger says algae is great for global warming!). They won't be messing with her no more, right Mind?!

    Okay, that was a little bit of a good Idaho yarn (I guess my sister-in-laws' small town fun is starting to settle in me after all these years!), but what are good Idaho sister-in-laws good for if you can't tease them every-once-in-a-while? And just to be clear, Mindi, New York sister-in-laws, aren't ANY good, whatsoever for that--right, Shannon?!! Okay, Helena, looks like your birthday wishes are starting to mushify my brain (I'm really stretching to give Meghan a little entertainment here), so I'll quit before I've dug myself too deep in a hole with the Idaho gals--Mindi, have I mentioned how beautiful you've looked lately?!

    Happy, Happy Birthday, Helena,and Meghan, Happy, Happy Healing!!! I'm sure you're a bright spark in many a nurses' day!

    love, ginger

    ReplyDelete