It’s so easy in life for us to receive blessings, many of them almost uncounted, and have things happen in our lives

that can help change our lives, improve our lives, and bring the Spirit into our lives.

But we sometimes take them for granted.


How grateful we should be for all have been brought into our hearts and souls.


I would remind all of you that if we’re ever going to show gratitude properly to our Heavenly Father, we should do

it

with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength—because it was He who gave us life and breath"


David B. Haight


Thursday, April 8, 2010

Meghan came out of the surgery successfully. She went in at 4:30pm and was supposed to come out at 7:30pm. At 8:45pm, Stephan and I were starting to have rising feelings of panic but they were relatively unfounded. The surgery was a bit of a spectacle: The tumor had not actually repaired it's walls from the cauterization, it had, instead, grown a membrane over the damaged hole which allowed it to re-deposit fluid back within itself. This membrane was like a window into the tumor and it had to be punctured in order to access the tumor. Dr Butler then used a larger, more invasive cauterizer and did some significant damage to the tumor wall. This time there was significant bleeding from the tumor and it took 9 liters of saline to halt the flow of blood--this is what added so much more time to the surgery. Will the tumor be able to re-grow another membrane and rebuild itself once more? Obviously preventing the regrowth of the membrane/tumor wall will be the focus of our prayers.
*
Meghan came out of the surgery with an external drain from her brain. The surgeon was suspicious that she has a type of hydrocaphaleus where the arachnoid villi (little valves) no longer allows CSF fluid to pass from the brain into the blood stream. If this happens, there is too much CSF fluid in the head which causes increased pressure. The amount of fluid plus monitoring her pressure will tell the neurosurgical team if a shunt is needed.
*
If anyone is craving their "15 minutes of fame" we encourage you to share ours. We are so tired of being a complex, fascinating, intriguing medical case. Meghan and I agree: We long for obscurity.

12 comments:

  1. Please give that BEAUTIFUL little face a kiss from me.
    I will keep praying and thanking G-d for each miraculous moment and "obscurity" too!!!
    With much love,
    Margi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the surgery went well!!
    Get some sleep.
    Still praying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Meggie,

    You are a real trooper and truely an inspiration to all of us. Keep that beautiful smile ... there are better days ahead.

    Love,
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the surgery went well! Hopefully this will do the trick. I have been there where many doctors are invited to "check this out"-- not the place you want to be. There are plenty of people out there who would take the 15 minutes-- I wish it on one of them.

    Keep hanging in there!

    Love,

    Krista, Kat and the Bellings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Meghan! I am so glad that you are on the road to recovery! I can't wait for you to come home. -Riley Williams

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meghan,
    Everyday when I tell Mrs Burgher about the blog she tells me I should be a doctor because I am always using big medical terms from your blog. I don't know if i would have the guts to be a doctor, but you'd never know! There is a new girl in school and I've heard she is nice and I have study hall today so I'll see if she is( she looks nice). Well wish you the best of luck and as soon as I am able to convince my mom to let me go down there for a few days I will keep on posting.

    Your BFFEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAE,
    Mallory(mal)

    PS I posted before Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Meghan & Helena
    we have been away so have not been able to keep in touch. So much seems to have happened, more than anyone should have to deal with. We look forward to hearing more good news we hope and feel sure that good times are not far away. You are, as always, in our thoughts and prayers. Keep on smiling.
    Lots of love Judi & Colin, UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meghan and Family - How neat to see you all around Boston - our old stomping grounds... wish you were there and enjoying the city under better circumstances. This is Caroline and yeah the new girl is nice her name is Sara.I'm glad you have so many things to do like the Easter egg hunt and the dogs and music therapy. It's great because you have something to look forward to almost every day. We'll continue to pray for you and look forward to your return to Clarence. Love, The Woodwards

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meghan and Helena and Family,

    Each time I check in and see what is new, I am blessed by many things!

    One is just how incredible God's design of our bodies is and how fearfully and wonderfully made we are!

    Another is rejoicing in the fact that even though there have been many ups and downs in this all, God has remained faithful and continued to persevere in the right direction.

    Thankful too, for the incredible minds he has given to man! It really appears that God knew exactly what He was doing, sending you there.

    Also, rejoicing in Meghan's stamina as well as her attitude. Truly a reflection of Jesus!

    Having just gone through Marc being diagnosed with hydrocephalus and having a shunt put in last month we are quite familiar with the details of your latest posts. Although it is nothing of the magnitude you are facing, we are praying with some understanding. We love you all!!

    The Stanley Family

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Meghan,
    I'm glad your surgery went well. I can't wait to see you again. Miss you. Best Wishes.
    ~Lauren S.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Megan,
    Your strong, and did u know Heath class pays off? Our CO2 detected went off this morning....false alarm but I woke up early.....hang in there,
    your btmffl ( better than Mallory friend for life,)
    ambres

    ps motto I'm too lazy to do the motto cause I'm tired from waking up at 5:30
    ambres

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pps wat I forgot to say was that me and Christina were talkin and I said that I don't understand the medical talk...I skip it and look at the pictures!!!!haha:p
    ambres (the champion of awesomeness)

    ReplyDelete