It’s so easy in life for us to receive blessings, many of them almost uncounted, and have things happen in our lives

that can help change our lives, improve our lives, and bring the Spirit into our lives.

But we sometimes take them for granted.


How grateful we should be for all have been brought into our hearts and souls.


I would remind all of you that if we’re ever going to show gratitude properly to our Heavenly Father, we should do

it

with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength—because it was He who gave us life and breath"


David B. Haight


Monday, April 12, 2010

"Into our lives a little rain must fall?" WHAT ABOUT WHEN IT POURS?


The surgery that was scheduled for Thursday was moved up to today. The surgeons decided that there was no need for the Tuesday/Wednesday "test" days. She drained so much CSF fluid over the weekend, that they felt her brain was not absorbing nearly enough CSF fluid to keep the ICP (Inter-cranial pressure) at a safe level.
So we had a Mom & Meghan vs Dad challenge on Battleship! Any game that we taught Meghan before the surgery, she remembers clearly!
Then our favorite music therapist, Laurie, came in to see us. Meghan loves to play the electric drums, I just have to help leftie hit in the right spot.
*
Finally at 5pm, we went for surgery. They are putting a shunt into the ventricle in her brain where CSF fluid will flow through a value and drain into the stomach. Sadly, the surgeon doesn't want to use the left side of her head because it has been opened so many times. So he will create a brand new incision on the right side of the skull. Being bald was a whole lot easier when she was 8 years old--it's just a big deal now.
Protocol in a hospital is to always ask the patient for their name (to make sure they have the right one). Meghan has not lost her sense of humor. The nurse asked, "Who are we operating on today?" Meghan retorted, "Mallory Showalter." Then she burst into laughter, relieving the poor nurse of her confusion.
Not only are parents allowed to come into the operating room (which explains the sterile garb) but the anesthesiologist likes the parents to be a part of putting their child to sleep--the child finds it comforting. I am administering oxygen while he gives her the anesthesia via an IV.
*
Tonight, Stephan and I realize how drained and emotionally empty we are. We are truly living the adage "One day at a time". We have forced our minds to stop even anticipating tomorrow--it's just too difficult to even process. It's an immediate coping mechanisms that stops fear.
*
We both felt that we were drawing close to where challenges are beyond our capacity to meet them, so we read about Job. Job was a weathly, upright man and he faced a test that could destroy anyone. Stripped of his wealth, scorned by his friends, afflicted by his suffering, shattered by the loss of his family, he refused to “curse God, and die." Stephan and I found strength because we are not as Job...if he could endure and overcome, so can we.
*
One of my favorite quotes is from Abraham Lincoln. He said:
“I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true.
I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have.
*
Thank you to all our family and friends who support, encourage and love us. We do not have the light that Job had, but we will live up to "what light we have."

12 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary on the day of your birth...

    (how's that for different & creative?) Helena, you are blessed to have a partner who adores and respects you. You are blessed to have children who hold their family in the higest of esteem. You are blessed to be surrounded by so many who love you (all). You are blessed to hold the holy spirit in your hearts, your words and your soul.

    We wish you all our best - make everyday a day to celebrate each other.

    XXOO The Devine Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helena:

    Sometimes one day at a time becomes one minute at a time, becomes one second at a time. Your strength is amazing! I have talked many times in my comments about Meghan's "light"-- that is truly how I felt about her since I met her. She is such a sweetheart and has such a light about her. I have neglected to talk about yours! You are living up to that light. I appreciate your quotes.

    Healing vibes to Meggie Moo-- the hair will grow back better than ever (and remember, friends love to share scarves)!

    Love,

    Krista, Kat and the Bellings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan!
    Why didn't you tell me I was going in to surgery! Unfortantly I am home sick so I don't think I would be able to make it. Good luck with the surgery and I POSTED BEFORE AMBER! I am so proud of myself. Don't worry about the hair I'll shave my head and we can be twins. Well we are all missing you here.

    Your BFFEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAE,
    Mallory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Miss Meghan,

    There are lots of people that will have similar hair styles to you during our Balds for Bucks bash tomorrow. I will be sure we get lots of pictures to send to you. We think of you daily - Keep up that sense of humor kiddo.

    ~Miss Coggins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope endures and provides strength. Hang on to the hope of another day and another and another and another........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahahaha "Mallory!" that made me laugh. Well that would explain why she wanst at school today....jk lol-Jennalea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your whole family is such an amazing example of faith and strength!! You have endured this trail so well. We are thinking of you and praying for you. I love that Meghan still has her sense of humor...what a champ! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Meghan! I wish... Well, I wish for so much, but I wish you were here. I can't wait til I get that wish. About being shaved: you can borrow my Rosalie wig from Halloween. Jk. But I don't care about the hair. It's the smile that matters:). - Riley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Meghan,

    My students and I (and many of my friends) are praying for you. Hang in there!

    -Coach Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan, dont worry. i will have the same style. i am going bald 4 bucks. you dont need pretty hair to be healthy. you need to be healthy before you have hair. good luck xoxoxoxo :0 u will b ok !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helena, Meghan and the rest of the family,

    We're praying for you. You have shown so much strength and courage. You are truly an inspiration for the rest of us. *Thinking of you* *Hugs*
    -Lavanya (BAC Evans)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Meghan,
    How I love you!!! You are such an example of strength and endurance. Little Nora can't wait to see you and Grant too!! Mya and Anna can't wait for you to be home. We all miss you and love you so much.

    Love Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete