It’s so easy in life for us to receive blessings, many of them almost uncounted, and have things happen in our lives

that can help change our lives, improve our lives, and bring the Spirit into our lives.

But we sometimes take them for granted.


How grateful we should be for all have been brought into our hearts and souls.


I would remind all of you that if we’re ever going to show gratitude properly to our Heavenly Father, we should do

it

with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength—because it was He who gave us life and breath"


David B. Haight


Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's Finally Over!

Today, May 6th 2010, is a great day. The Proton treatment is finally over. No more taking a wheelchair from Spaulding to MGH in the snow (yes, we have been here that long!), the rain or the heat. No more having your face bolted to a board for 20-40 minutes, no more having your day dictated by an unpredictable, temperamental, state-of-the-art Proton cyclotron.
The only thing that we will miss at the Proton Center will be the people. Above are Meghan's radiation team, people who were upbeat, positive and cheerful every single day. From left to right: Lorraine, Mandy, (Meghan), Helen and Ron. They made this experience bearable and memorable, and I have sincere gratitude to them for that! It's not easy to keep your spirits up when you treat pediatric and adult cancer and I admire the team for always making us feel cared for and loved.
When your treatment is completed, you must ring the "lucky bell" and everyone cheers for you. Sorry for the blurry photo, I thought it was the tears in my eyes but it was actually the camera!
*
We have officially agreed on a discharge day from Spaulding Rehab: Meghan is going home on May 14th. For the last 2 weeks, Spaulding and our insurance have been debating what is in Meghan's best interest. Insurance wanted us to leave on May 4th and Spaulding wanted Meghan to stay until May 25th (because of the short term memory issue). MGH had the final say as we are having one more MRI on the 7th and we need to stay for Brain Tumor Clinic next Wednesday 12th. Stephan and I have decided that MGH will be our medical center for all of Meghan's tumor medical care and we are willing to drive her here whenever it is necessary.
*
MGH has restored my faith in medical staff again. This hospital is, in my opinion, one of the best in the United States (and at this point, we have worked with many). As with anything, it is not the structure but rather the people who work here. There is an attitude of reverence, appreciation, humility and mutual respect among the staff, at all levels, that is so rare. We were blessed to find MGH and credit goes to Our Father in Heaven who intentionally closed all the local doors in Buffalo and opened all the necessary doors in Boston. It is reverential when God asks for this level of trust (especially when it's not for you but for your child) but as Thomas S Monson so eloquently said, "...faith forged in the furnace of trials and tears is marked by trust and testimony."

11 comments:

  1. Well Meggie---Looks like a job well done---you and the machine! But you are going to disappoint a lot of scheming people who had designs upon your room. I didn't know it was up for grabs or I would have fought the others off to set my sewing machine up there! Drat!---I think I missed my big chance as you will be home before I get to stake my claim. We leave at 6 in the morning for Vancouver. I am almost as tired of these long car trips as you are of brain surgeries Meg! After this one though I think we are going to stay put in Clarence for the summer---so I guess I had better brush up on card games so I can humble you a little. (You should have at least let your grandpa win one game...you have to give us old people some slack!). Well, it will be great to see you in person again, but I must say we have all really enjoyed all the work your Mom has done on keeping us up to day on your blog. Its been a wild roller coaster ride, but it makes the 'happy ending' even sweeter. See you after the 26th! Love, Grandma Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Megal is coming home!!!! Yippee!!
    Ambres

    ps: wow that's a short comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan,

    There's no place like home. Brianna and Cameron will probably be extra nice for the first few days, but then it will be back to normal with their good natured sibling rivalry. Take advantage of the first few days.

    On the other hand, the dogs might look at you funny for the first few days, but then it will be back to normal with their love and devotion. It could be quite a contrast to the sibling relationship.

    I hope you don't mind if I put some of my tools in your room. My workbench is kind of messy. I'll only put the ones I don't use often in there, so I won't bother you that much. I'll call ahead when I'm coming. Everyone else has been selfish with their requests, but I'll let you use the tools when I'm not using them, so it's a win-win. You can even make and fix things with them and count it as part of your therapy.

    J Lahti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic news, Meghan! Bet you cant wait now to get back into that lovely bedroom and see all the family. Keep driving forward, I think of you now in something a little more upmarket than a mini, how about a silver porsche?!! or a pink Rolls Royce like Lady Penelope - a bit before your time, Meghan, but your Mum will no doubt remember!!
    Our love as always and we will be thinking of you next Friday when you are on your way home - YIPEE!!!
    Judi & Colin, UK
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Meggie,

    You look wonderful and I'm so happy that you are through with the radiation. Your Dad promised me that he will buy you some gelato this weekend so make sure he keeps his promise.
    We also have to set up a celebration lunch (no seaweed drinks Helena)when you come home. Your Fisher-Price family is looking forward to a visit!

    Love,
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Meghan and Helena (Sister Kleilein),
    Meghan I am not sure you would remember me too much because you were very young the last time I saw you. But, I have been following your story and wanted to tell you what a true inspiration you are to me. You have a beautiful smile that touches me with every picture that I see. You look amazing and your positive additude has taught me to be greatful for what I have. I still live in Oakley, Utah with my husband and two little girls, Abbie and Brooke. Thanks for being a true shining example of hope and determination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aunt Helena you couldn't have said it any better. Tell everyone thank you. They have my deepest gratitude

    Meg here's to being done with treatments, WHOOPEE! Days till you come home: 7.

    I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
    -Patrick Henry

    Lets keep those dreams of the future bright as well... lets say the color yellow.

    Your BFFEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEAE,
    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!! I can NOT WAIT 'till then. 7 DAYS!!!

    I can NOT wait....wait, i said that already....


    The countdown is ON!!

    ~emma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea! Meghan that is wonderful news! I have read the blog every day and have prayed that you and your mom would be coming home soon...Keep up the good work! Love, Mrs. Todaro

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!! For you both! Helena, You've been as much a part of the "team" as the rest of them!! Our last day of co-op is the 14th so we will be rejoicing with you all together. You will have to come visit next year sometime. PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! :)

    Mrs Stanley/Geordie

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY for a coming home date!!!

    Keep moving forward!

    Love,
    Krista, Kat and the Bellings

    ReplyDelete